Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bees in Trees

Check it out! A humongous bee's nest in a Katsura Tree! It was bigger than a basketball and the bees were still active. I was walking home, admiring people's houses when I spotted this big-boy dangling from the tree right next to street parking. The whole area smelled like cotton candy thanks to the Katsura Tree - when the leaves change in the fall, it emits a very sweet cotton candy scent that lasts until all the leaves have fallen. I love this tree - it's one of my favorites!

4 comments:

thisgoodhearth said...

Is there a Japanese cherry tree also known as Katsura? I am so happy to hear that the bees are alive and well in your area:) Long live the bees!!

AnnieTwoBraids said...

If there is, i haven't heard of it. You might be thinking of Kanzan Flowering Cherry (also known as Kwanzan FC). It is a very pretty/showy tree in the spring! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_serrulata

And yes, long live the bees!

thisgoodhearth said...

Must be it then.

thisgoodhearth said...

Must be it then. You seem to be very knowledgeable in this area. I don't think I pay too much attention to the little details.